110 years ago in America…..
* The average life expectancy in the United States was 47.
* Only 14 percent of the homes in the U.S. had a bathtub.
* Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone. A three-minute call from Denver to New York City cost $11.
* There were only 8,000 cars in the U.S. and only 144 miles of paved roads.
* The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.
* Alabama, Mississippi, Iowa and Tennessee were each more heavily populated than California. With a mere 1.4 million residents, California was only the 21st most populous state in the Union.
* The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower.
* The average wage in the U.S. was 22 cents an hour. The average U.S. worker made between $200 – $400 per year.
* A competent accountant could expect to earn $2,000 per year, a dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.
* More than 95 percent of all births in the U.S. took place at home.
* Ninety percent of all U.S. physicians had no college education. Instead, they attended medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press and by the government as "substandard."
* Sugar cost four cents a pound. Eggs were 14 cents a dozen. Coffee cost 15 cents a pound.
* Most women only washed their hair once a month and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo.
* Canada passed a law prohibiting poor people from entering the country for any reason.
* The five leading causes of death in the U.S. were:
- Pneumonia and influenza
- Heart disease
* The American flag had 45 stars. Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Hawaii, and Alaska hadn’t been admitted to the Union yet.
* The population of Las Vegas, Nev. was 30.
* Crossword puzzles, canned beer and iced tea hadn’t been invented.
* There was no Mother’s Day or Father’s Day.
* One in 10 U.S. adults couldn’t read or write. Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.
* Marijuana, heroin and morphine were all available over-the-counter at corner drugstores. According to one pharmacist, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and the bowels and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health."
* Eighteen percent of households in the U.S. had at least one full-time servant or domestic help.
* There were about 230 reported murders in the U.S.
And Lastly … The 1910 Waverly was the vehicle to own with its Electric Motor
The URL for this post is: