| 1788 - 1853|
||2 Apr 1788
||, North Potomac River, Montgomery, Maryland [3, 4]
|to Ohio |
- The records of the Anderson family show that Oliver M. Anderson's paternal grandfather moved to Ohio in 1807, and on Mar 8, 1813, he was married to Miss Mary Mulford, a descendant of a prominent Welsh family which settled in America in the early Colonial days. Miss Mulford was born August 20, 1792, and died in Jefferson County, Iowa, November 16, 1859. In 1840 Hiram Anderson and his family moved from Ohio to Boone County, Indiana where the father died thirteen years later.
||Vernon, Clinton, Ohio [6, 7]
- Hiram Anderson Males: 2 under 10, 1 - 16 to 18, 1 - 26 to 45. Females: 2 under 10, 1 - 26 to 45. Agriculture
||Marion Township, Clinton, Ohio 
- Hiram Anderson. Males: 1 under 5. 2 - 5 to 10, 1 - 15 to 20, 1 - 40 to 50. Females: 2 under 5, 2 - 5 to 10, 2 - 10 to 15, 1 - 30 to 40.
|to Boone Co., Indiana |
- In 1840 Hiram Anderson and his family moved from Ohio to Boone County, Indiana where the father died thirteen years later.
||, Boone, Indiana 
- Hiram Anderson, 62, farmer, real estate $700, born in Maryland. Mary Anderson, 48, born in Pennsylvania. Martha Anderson, 18, born in Ohio. Joseph Anderson, 16, farmer, born in Ohio.
||farmer and shoemaker  |
||Mechanicsburg, Boone, Indiana [3, 4]
||10 Nov 1853
||Clinton, Boone, Indiana 
- Farmer & shoemaker. Moved to Ohio in 1807 then to Boone Co, Indiana in 1840.
Mechanicsburg Cemetery, Washington Township page 284, Anderson, Hiram died 11-10-1853 65y 7m 8d
The first page is the marriage consent on 15 March 1813 by Mary's brother, Joseph. The second page is the actual marriage record. (Marriage Record Book 1 1803-1852 Page 75 Record 583: Hiram Anderson and Mary Mulford married 17 March 1813 by John Bowen JP)
1850 District 7, Boone County, Indiana
Hiram 62 yrs old Mary 58 yrs old
Hiram Anderson, was born on the north branch of the Potomac River, in Maryland, in 1788. He followed the avocations of farmer and shoemaker, and led an active career until his death in 1853. The records of the Anderson family show that Oliver M. Anderson's paternal grandfather, Hiram, moved to Ohio in 1847. On March 8, 1813, he was married to Miss Mary Mulford, a descendant of a prominent Welch family which settled in America in the early Colonial days. Miss Mulford was born August 20, 1792, and died in Jefferson County, Iowa, November 16, 1859. In 1840 Hiram Anderson and his family moved from Ohio to Boone County, Indiana, where the father died thirteen years later.
There were twelve children born to the union of Hiram Anderson and his wife. Their names and dates of birth are: Naomi, born May 19,1814, married Wilson Elliott and died in Brandon, Iowa, in 1894; William, born May 26, 1816, and died in Independence, Iowa, in 1894; Thomas F., born May 9, 1818, and moved to Doniphan County, Kansas, in 1870; Mary Jane, born November 4, 1819, was the wife of Isaac Bennett, and died in Indiana about 1873; Nancy, born April 27, 1821, married Jesse Burton, who died in Indiana, and after his death she became the wife of John Ferguson and died in Iowa; Rachael, born December 3, 1822, became the wife of Abraham Bennett and died in Norway, Kansas, December 21, 1893; Robert, born November 11, 1824, and died two years later; Hannah, born February 8, 1826, became the wife of John Lewis, and died September 2, 1902, Omaha, Nebraska; Eliza, born May 7, 1828, was the second wife of Elisha Bowlby, and died in 1871 in Doniphan County, Kansas; Hiram B., born August 7,1830, died in Jefferson County, Iowa December 4, 1859; Martha A.,born May 20, 1832, became the wife of George Chase, and died at Huron, Atchison County, Kansas, in 1885; Joseph M., born August 23, 1834, and resides in St. Joseph, Mo. The foregoing list shows that Hiram and Mary Anderson ignored any such wild theories as race suicide in their active and vigorous life. With the exception of the boy Robert, who died when a baby, all the children lived to practically the alloted age of man and some of them are still living.
Taken from an article sent to me by Ron Tucker on Doniphan County, Kansas.
Hiram's middle name was possibly, Thomas.
Notes from Katie Jablonicky:
Hiram Anderson. Son of William Anderson & Nancy Ann Forshay (Forshee). Born 1788 in North Potomac, MD. Died 1853 in Boone Co., IN. Buried in Mechanicsburg Cem, Boone Co, IN. Occupation Farmer / Shoe Maker.
It is not known where Hiram's parents were living when Hiram was born, but some say he was born on the North Branch of the Potomac River in Maryland.
Hiram is reported to have moved to Warren Co, OH, in 1807 when, after the sale of the old family homestead called Anderson's Bottom in Hampshire Co, WVA, all the Andersons moved on to the frontier of Ohio.
At the time of his marriage in 1813, the new nation was embroiled in a war against the British, the War of 1812, which was especially felt along the frontier, but Hiram's name has not been found on any army or militia rolls for that war.
Land deeds obtained by descendant Sandra Paser indicate that in 1817 Hiram purchased 6 3/8 acres along Turtle Creek , Warren Co, OH, for $100.00
In 1819 apparently that sum was actually paid and recorded, and a few months later, March 20, 1819, Hiram sold the supposed same land to Daniel Woolly for $200.00., except it is described as 5 3/8 acres.
The 1820 Federal Census finds Hiram and Mary living in Vernon Twp., Clinton Co, OH, with 3 sons and 2 daughters.
The 1830 Federal Census has Hiram and Mary living in Marion Township, Clinton Co, OH, with 4 sons and 6 daughters.
In August 1832, Hiram purchased 75 acres from Gavin and Sarah Morrison. As described, the acreage was part of John Harvies Survey in Marion Twp which extended into Warren Co.
Four days later Hiram sold the same property to Nicholas Bennett for $170.00, to be paid by February 11, 1833. It is not known exactly what happened to this agreement, but on the 11th of February 1939 Hiram and Mary Anderson sold that land to Barton Johns for $1,500.00.
In 1840 Hiram and Mary pulled up stakes and moved the family to Boone Co, Indiana, where they farmed and lived until Hiram's death in 1853.
Hiram died intestate. The probate papers name his 12 children and name his son Thomas F. Anderson as administrator. Hiram's personal estate consisted of $371.33, while the amount of the claims against the estate, including the widows portion, amounted to a probable sum of $435.00. Thus 82 acres owned by the deceased 12 were sold in 1856 for $830.00 to Jacob M. Wood.
Thomas reported a full accounting of the assets of the estate at $1,216.99. Disbursements for payment of debts claims and expenses were $693.40, leaving a balance of $523.56 for distribution to the heirs.
Hiram Anderson, like millions of other Americans, quietly lived his life raising a family and building a home on the frontier.
Research: I am unable to come up with exact dates of Hiram's birth and death. His broken gravestone, of which I have a photograph, gives his date of death as November 10, 1853, 67 years, 7 months, 8 days, while the date for the petition to probate his estate was September 19, 1853
Military History of Hamilton County, Ohio shows Hiram Anderson having served in the Ohio Militia.
||2 Mar 2006 |
||William Anderson, b. 18 Sep 1764, Anderson's Bottom, Hampshire, Virginia , d. 1 Feb 1814, Fort Malden, Ontario, Canada |
||Nancy Ann Forshee, b. 3 Nov 1766-1770, Connoquenessing, Butler, Pennsylvania , d. 2 Feb 1807, , Fairfield, Ohio |
||Of, Anderson's Bottom, North Potomac River, Virginia
||Mary Mulford, b. 21 Aug 1792, , Green, Pennsylvania , d. 16 Nov 1859, , Jefferson, Iowa |
||15 Mar 1813
||, Hamilton, Warren, Ohio [11, 12, 13, 14, 15]
- Married by John Bowen, J.P.
|>||1. Naomi Anderson, b. 19 May 1814, Vernon, Clinton, Ohio , d. 22 Aug 1894, Brandon, Buchanan, Iowa |
|>||2. William B. Anderson, b. 26 May 1816, Vernon, Clinton, Ohio , d. 1894, Independence, Buchanan, Iowa |
|>||3. Thomas F. Anderson, b. 9 May 1818, Vernon, Clinton, Ohio , d. 12 May 1905, , Doniphan, Kansas |
|>||4. Mary Jane Anderson, b. 4 Nov 1819, Vernon, Clinton, Ohio , d. 31 Mar 1879, , , Indiana |
|>||5. Nancy Ellen Anderson, b. 27 Apr 1821, Vernon, Clinton, Ohio , d. 26 Oct 1902, Urbana, Benton, Iowa |
|>||6. Rachel Anderson, b. 3 Dec 1822, Marion, Hancock, Ohio , d. 21 Dec 1893, Norway, Doniphan, Kansas |
| ||7. Robert Anderson, b. 11 Nov 1824, Marion, Hancock, Ohio , d. 1826, Marion, Hancock, Ohio |
|>||8. Hannah Anderson, b. 8 Feb 1826, Marion Township, Clinton, Ohio , d. 2 Sep 1902, Omaha, Douglas, Nebraska |
|>||9. Eliza Jane Anderson, b. 7 May 1828, Marion, Hancock, Ohio , d. 23 May 1871, Severance, Doniphan, Kansas |
|>||10. Hiram Benton Anderson, b. 7 Aug 1830, Marion, Hancock, Ohio , d. 4 Dec 1859, , Jefferson, Iowa |
|>||11. Martha A. Anderson, b. 20 May 1832, Marion, Hancock, Ohio , d. 1 Jul 1883, Huron, Atchison, Kansas |
|>||12. Joseph M. Anderson, b. 23 Aug 1834, Marion, Hancock, Ohio , Of St. Joseph, Buchanan, Missouri |
||21 Feb 2005 |
|Born - 2 Apr 1788 - , North Potomac River, Montgomery, Maryland
|Married - 15 Mar 1813 - , Hamilton, Warren, Ohio
|Census - 1820 - Vernon, Clinton, Ohio
|Census - 1830 - Marion Township, Clinton, Ohio
|Census - 1850 - , Boone, Indiana
|Buried - Nov 1853 - Mechanicsburg, Boone, Indiana
|Died - 10 Nov 1853 - Clinton, Boone, Indiana
|| : Address
: Not Set
- [S234] Forshay Family, Marjorie Featheringill Waterfield, (Bowling Green, Ohio : M. Waterfield, c1990 #929.273 F772w v. 1), Family tree drawn by Caleb Forshay in 1833 (Reliability: 3).
- [S877] Life and Letters of Judge Thomas J. Anderson, James H. (James House) Anderson, (Salt Lake City : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1973. Film #940397 Item 4), 4 (Reliability: 3).
- [S8171] Indiana, Boone, Mechanicsburg - Cemetery, Indiana, Boone, Mechanicsburg Cemetery, Hiram Anderson, died 10 Nov 1853, Aged 65y 7mo 8ds (Reliability: 4).
- [S876] Indiana, Henry, Mechanicsburg - Cemeteries, Middletown-Fall Creek Township Historical Society (Middletown, Henry County, Indiana), (Salt Lake City : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1993), Anderson, Hiram, d 11/10/1853, Age 65y 7m 8d (Reliability: 3).
- [S227] Kansas, Doniphan - Genealogy, Ostertag, John A., Ostertag, Enid, (Troy, Kan. : Trojan Graphics, 1999), 90 (Reliability: 3).
- [S870] 1820 Federal Census, United States. Census Office. 4th census, 1820, (Washington : National Archives. Central Plains Region, 1949, 1958-1960), FHL US/CAN Census Area #181393. Page 17 (Reliability: 4).
- [S225] Ohio, Clinton, Vernon - 1820 - Federal Census, Ohio, Clinton, Vernon, (www.ancestry.com), Hiram Anderson, age 26 - 45, agriculture (Reliability: 3).
- [S50] Ohio, Clinton, Marion - 1830 - Federal Census, Ohio, Clinton, Marion, (www.ancestry.com).
- [S871] 1850 Federal Census, United States. Census Office. 7th census, 1850, (Washington, D.C. : The National Archives, 1964), Hiram Anderson, 62, farmer, born in Maryland (Reliability: 4).
1850 Census Record
- [S813] Genealogical and biographical record Northeast Kansas, (Chicago : Lewis Pub., 1900).
- [S162] Ohio Marriage through 1820, Ohio Genealogical Society, ([Mansfield, Ohio] : Ohio Genealogical Society, 1996), 1:92 File 173 (Reliability: 4).
- [S162] Ohio Marriage through 1820, Ohio Genealogical Society, ([Mansfield, Ohio] : Ohio Genealogical Society, 1996), 1:75 File 583 (Reliability: 4).
- [S165] Ohio Warren County Probate Court, Ohio Probate Court (Warren County), (Salt Lake City : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1964 Film #0384262), 92: Marriage record, Hiram Anderson - Mary Mulford, 15 Mar 1813, both of lawful age. Mary of lawful age by the oath of Joseph Mulford, her brother. (Reliability: 4).
- [S181] Ohio, Warren - Vital records - Butler - Green - Miami - Preble - Warren Co's, Brien, Lindsay M. (Lindsay Decker Metcalfe), (Salt Lake City : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1975 Film #974057 Item 2), Hiram Anderson & Mary Mulford marriage (Reliability: 4).
- [S182] Ohio, Warren - Vital records - Marriages, Ohio. Probate Court (Warren County), (Salt Lake City : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1964), Marriage record, Anderson, Hiram - Mulford, Mary 7 Mar 1813 (Reliability: 3).