- Yes, date unknown
||Edward Orton, LL. D. |
||LL. D. |
||, , New York
||President of Ohio State University and professor of geology. |
||Yes, date unknown
- Professor at Ohio State University.
Six of Ohio State's chief administrators have been native sons. The only 'foreigner' was first president Edward Orton, New York born geologist who later served one year as president of Antioch College, Yellow Springs, Ohio, when he accepted the position of president of the newly established Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College which opened its doors in Columbus in 1872 to 17 students.
After the scope of the college had thus been determined and while the main building was in process of erection the trustees tradertook the selection of a president and faculty. After careful consideration of many name, Edward Orton, Ph. D., then president of Antioch College, was elected president and professor of geology. By September, 1873. when the college threw open its doors for the reception of students, a faculty of seven members in addition to the president had been elected to fill the following chairs; Geology, physics and mechanic, general and applied chemistry. English and modern languages, agriculture, mathematics, zoology, ancient languages. The institution grew steadily, however, and all apparent as well as real difficulties were adjusted. The educational scope of the institution was broadened and expanded until it ranks favorably with the kindred institutions of the continent. In 174 a reorganization of the board of tnastees was made by the legislature by which the number of members was reduced to five. appointable by the governor, and holding office for five yearn each. Again, in 1877. organization was changed so that as in the firt board there should be one member from each congressional district in the state, and each member should hold his office for six years. Finally. in 1878. the general assembly again reorganized the institution and provided for a board of seven trustees, to be appointed by the governor and to hold offwe for seven years each, after the first appointments, which later were to be so made that the term of one member should expire each year. By this same act of the legislature tle name of the institution was changed from the Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College to Ohio state University. The reasons for this change of name were set forth by President Orton in an earlier report in which he advised and asked the change as follows: "Those who take their estimate of the institution from its title alone are sure that it has nothing in its courses which they desire, while some who judge the college from its its generous range and scope o its courses of study are sure that it is proving false to a narrow purpose which they deduce from its title." The labors of President Orton, after these reorganizations, or rather adjustments, bore fruits worthy the laborer, and the great. institution, with its splendid buildings and well poised faculty; its museum and archaelogical trophies; its rare library treasures in art and literature bespoke the higher destiny that awaits.[p.234] The presidents of the institution have been: Edward Orton LL. D.; W. O. Scott, D. D.; William H. Scott. LL. D.; James H. Canfield, D. D.; William O. Thompson, D.D., LL. D.
||25 Mar 2004 |
||Mary Princess Anderson, b. 26 Aug 1857, of, Pitt Township, Wyandot, Ohio , d. Yes, date unknown |
||30 Oct 1888
||Columbus, Franklin, Ohio
||25 Mar 2004 |