1602 - 1675 (73 years)
||Deacon John Jackson |
||6 Jan 1602
||St Dunstans, Stepney, London, England
||6 Jun 1603
||St Dunstans, Stepney, London, England
||30 Jan 1675
||Cambridge, Middlesex, Massachusetts
- ORIGIN: Unknown.
MIGRATION: 1635 on the Blessing (on 13 July 1635, "Jo[hn] Jackson," fisherman, aged 40, "Margaret Jackson," aged 36, and "John Jackson," aged 2, were enrolled at London as passengers for New England on the Blessing [Hotten 108]).
FIRST RESIDENCE: Salem.
OCCUPATION: Mariner. On about 21 June 1637, Roger Williams reported the presence of several ships in Narragansett Bay, including "the other whereof _____ Jackson of Salem is master" [WP 3:434]. About a month later, Richard Davenport reported that he and others were on their way back from action in the Pequot War "aboard Goodman Jackson" [WP 3:454]. On 15 December 1640, Gov. John Winthrop related the travails of the pinnace Coach, skippered by "one Jackson, a godly man and an experienced seaman," on a voyage from Salem to New Haven [WJ 2:23].
CHURCH MEMBERSHIP: On 17 May 1638, "John Jackson" and "Margeret Jackson" were admitted to Salem church, both with the annotation "dead" [SChR 7].
FREEMAN: On 26 February 1649/50, "John Jackson" was one of four men admitted to freemanship at Salem court (the other three being members of Salem church) [EQC 1:184].
OFFICES: Salem petit jury, 30 December 1645 [EQC 1:89; STR 1:139].
Salem constable, 1 May 1647 [STR 1:147].
ESTATE: In the 1636 Salem land distribution, "Mr. Jackson" received fifty acres [STR 1:23]. On 16 January 1636/7, "Mr. Jackson" was one of eight men who were granted "each 1/2 an acre of land ... at Winter Harbor for fishing trade, & to build upon" [STR 1:33]. In the 25 December 1637 division of meadow, "Jo[hn] Jackson" received three-quarters of an acre for a household of four [STR 1:102].
On 30 September 1644, "John Jackson" was one of four persons granted "so much of the wet marsh or swamp as lies before their ground" [STR 1:132]. On 30 May 1649, "Goodman Jackson" was one of several persons granted "fifty acres of meadow to be divided among them" [STR 1:158].
On 20 November 1651, "John Jackson of Salem ..., planter," sold to "Jeffry Massy of the same, planter, a certain parcel of upland and meadow near Winter Harbor in Salem" [ELR 1:19]. On 2 October 1654, "John Jackson of Salem, mariner," sold to "Jonathan Porter ... three-quarters of an acre of salt marsh lying in the south field" [ELR 1:26].
In his will, dated 31 January 1655[/6] and proved 24 June 1656, "Jno. Jackson Senior" bequeathed to "my wife Mary Jackson five pounds sterling"; to "Margarett Neve thirty shillings"; "my dearly beloved son Jno. Jackson [to be] my sole executor" [EPR 1:240-41].
The inventory of the estate of John Jackson, taken 10 March 1655/6, totalled £20 6s., of which £9 was real estate: "2 acres of salt marsh," £9 [EPR 1:241].
BIRTH: About 1595 (aged forty on 13 July 1635 [Hotten 108]).
DEATH: Between 31 January 1655[/6] (date of will) and 10 March 1655/6 (date of inventory).
MARRIAGE: (1) By about 1633 Margaret _____. She died after 27 July 1646 (when she witnessed the nuncupative will of John Thorne [EQC 1:101]). (The assertion has been made that her maiden name was Cartwright [NYGBR 13:145], but in 1939 Herbert F. Seversmith demonstrated that this misidentification was based on a misreading of the 2 May 1640 will of Bethia Cartwright [EQC 1:18; EPR 1:12; TAG 15:].)
(2) After 27 July 1646 Mary (_____) Goose , widow of William Goose. On 29 December 1656 and on 13 July 1657, the town of Salem provided for the maintenance of "widow Jackson" [STR 1:195-202]. On 28 June 1664, the town of Salem took from the estate of William Goose the expenses they had incurred from 1656 to 1663 in maintaining "widow Jackson, formerly the wife of William Goose, [who] was not capable, owing to her present distemper of head, to look after herself" [EPR 1:435-36; EQC 3:138, 176-77].
With first wife
i JOHN JACKSON, b. about 1633 (aged two on 13 July 1635 [Hotten 108]; deposed on 25 May 1655 "aged about twenty-one years" [EQC 1:391]); living on 31 January 1655[/6], when named in father's will; no further record.
COMMENTS: Pope identified this immigrant with the man of the same name who lived in Cambridge [Pope 254], but this cannot be correct. The family description in the passenger list matches exactly that of the Salem family. Also, this immigrant sailed with the family of Richard Hollingsworth, who also settled in Salem, and with whom the Jackson family had continued association [Hotten 108; GM 2:2:380-84; TAG 78:241-44; EQC 1:391].
In October 1636, Gov. John Winthrop reported that "two houses were burnt, and all the goods in them to a great value; ... the other one Jackson of Salem, both professors" [WJ 1:238-39].
In his will, John Jackson made a bequest to "Margaret Neve," without stating a relationship. She came to New England in 1637 from Great Yarmouth, Norfolk [Hotten 293]. Barbara MacAllan has recently demonstrated that William Goose and his wife Mary were also from Great Yarmouth, and were named in the same ecclesiastical visitation record as Margaret Neave [NEHGR 154:215-17].
Source: The Great Migration Begins
Deacon John Jackson was baptised in the Parish of Stepney, London June 6, 1602; the first settler of Canah Village, who remained and died in it. He brought a good estate with him from England. He bought a dwelling house and eighteen acres of land, of Miles Ives of Wat., in 1639. This estate was situated on the Rox. road, very near the line which now divides Newton from Brighton. He took the Freeman's oath, in 1641,--was one of the first deacons of the church, --gave one acre of land for the Church and burial place upon which the forst M.H. was erected, in 1660, , and which now the oldest part of the Centre Cemetery. He was the s. of Christopher Jackson of London, who was buried on the 5th of Dec. 1633. He had in this country, by two wives, five sons and ten daughters, and at the time of his decease, about fifty grandchildren. There may have been and probably were some transient dwellers in the Villiage before he came, but they were not known to the record, and left no descendants there. The coming of John Jackson, in 1639, may properly be considered the first settlement of Newton. He d. Jan 30, 1674-5. Counting from the record of his baptism, in England, his age was 73. How old he was when baptised is uncertain. He left an estate, valued at 1,230 pounds. His widow, Margaret died Aug.28 1684 (Gravestone). She could not therefore have been the other of his son John who was born in 1639. His old mansion house was pulled down about 1800. ...His estate was settled by agreement, amoug the survivng children in Dec 1676. ....He had labored long and earnestly, by petitioning the General Court and otherwise, to have Cambridge Village erected into an independent town, but did not live to see it acccomplished.
From "History of the Early Settlement of Newton", by Francis Jackson, p. 326-7
"Jackson was a magistrate and large landholder, for seventeen years Deputy to the General Court, a surveyor of land, husband to the widow of Chelsea's first ministor, ancestor of sixty grandchildren, and a slaveholder withal, leaving at his death two male slaves. This notable personage was thus characterized in "The Wonder-working Providence of Sion's Savior in New England": "He could not endure to see the truth of Christ trampled under foot by the erroneous party."
From "King's Handbook of Newton" by M.F. Sweetster, 1889, p. 50-52.
||31 Aug 2006 |
||Christopher Jackson, b. 1575, Of Mile End, Stepney, London, England. , d. 5 Dec 1633, Stepney, Whitechapel, Middlesex, England (Age 58 years) |
||Susan Johnson, b. 1581, Stepney, Middlesex, England , d. 1633, Stepney, Middlesex, England (Age 52 years) |
||20 Oct 1602
||London, London, England
||Mrs. Abigail Jackson, b. Abt 1603, d. Yes, date unknown |
||, , England
|+||1. Abraham Jackson, b. Abt 1632, , , England , d. 4 Oct 1714, Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts (Age ~ 82 years)|
||31 Aug 2006 |
||Margaret Taft, d. Yes, date unknown |
||21 Feb 1641
||St. Dunstans, Stepney, London, England
||10 Nov 2001 |
|Born - 6 Jan 1602 - St Dunstans, Stepney, London, England
|Christened - 6 Jun 1603 - St Dunstans, Stepney, London, England
|Married - 1628 - , , England
|Married - 21 Feb 1641 - St. Dunstans, Stepney, London, England
|Died - 30 Jan 1675 - Cambridge, Middlesex, Massachusetts
|| : Address
: Not Set