| 1816 - 1894|
||26 May 1816
||Vernon, Clinton, Ohio
||Vernon, Clinton, Ohio 
- Hiram Anderson Males: 2 under 10, 1 - 16 to 18, 1 - 26 to 45. Females: 2 under 10, 1 - 26 to 45. Agriculture
||Marion, Clinton, Ohio 
- Hiram Anderson. Males: 1 under 5. 2 - 5 to 10, 1 - 15 to 20, 1 - 40 to 50. Females: 2 under 5, 2 - 5 to 10, 2 - 10 to 15, 1 - 30 to 40.
||Clinton, Jefferson, Ohio 
- William Anderson, 34, cooper, property $100, born in Ohio. Elizabeth Anderson, 32, bornin Ohio. Martha J. Anderson, 9, born in Ohio. Robert W. Anderson, 7, born in Iowa. John W. Anderson, 2, born in Ohio. Hiram Anderson, 19, carpenter, born in Ohio.
||Jefferson, Buchanan, Iowa 
- Robert Anderson, 38, farmer, born in Indiana. Lydia J. Anderson 41, keeping house, born in Ohio. Charles Anderson, 11, born in Ohio. Lettie A. Anderson, 7 , born in Iowa. William Anderson, father, 64, farmer, born in Ohio. Elizabeth Anderson, mother, 62, born in Ohio.
||Independence, Buchanan, Iowa
- William died in the county poor farm according to a newspaper article. Carlson states that his wife was blind and mentally ill before her death. Both are believed to be buried at the Brandon Cemetery, but no stone marks their graves.
Notes from Katie Jablonicky:
William was the oldest son of Hiram and Mary Anderson. About the time his parents moved from Clinton Co, Ohio, to Indiana, William married and stayed in Ohio. He may have tried Indiana once, but returned to Ohio, as his son Robert was born in Indiana, but the rest of the children were born in Ohio, according to census records.
William did not migrate to Iowa with his other family members, sisters Naomi and Nancy, but waited several years before joining them, as both of his daughters were married in Ohio. He probably moved to Iowa between 1870 and 1880, perhaps with his children and their families.
The 1880 Iowa census shows him to be a farmer,living with his blind wife in rural Buchanan Co next to his son, Robert and nephew, John Bunton.
It is apparent from various newspaper items that William had been living with first one daughter and then the other until November 15, 1893, when his daughter Martha was forced to send him to the county farm because of her own sick and dying husband.
No one seems to know what happened to Elizabeth, who was both blind and reportedly mentally ill. She appears to have died before her husband. Carlson16 did not find an obituary for her.
April 11, 1894, The Conservative, Wednesday, Brandon News: "Old Mr. Anderson died at the poor farm Friday and was brought home to his daughter's Mrs. G. R. Jackson, Sunday morning, and from which place he was buried in the afternoon, in the Brandon cemetery. In the absence of Rev. Lusted, J. C. Roster conducted the devotional services at the house. Thus one by one our old citizens are passing away. We can all afford to mourn with each other for we know not how soon our time will come."
Presumedly both William and Elizabeth are buried in the Brandon Cemetery, but Carlson could not find a stone marking their graves.
The 1850 census48 shows William and his family living in Jackson Twp, Clinton Co, Ohio as follows:
Dwelling # 586, Family # 586
William Anderson, age 34, Cooper, $100 value, b. OH
Elizabeth " , age 32, b. OH
Martha " , age 9, b. OH
Robert W. " , age 7, b. IN
John W. " , age 2, b. OH
Hiram Anderson, age 19, Carpenter, b. OH [Wm's brother]
Two Hammer families [wife's maiden name] live near, and William's brother Thomas, age 32, lives in a neighbor's home.
The 1880 census49 shows William and his wife living in Jefferson Twp, Buchanan Co, Iowa as follows:
Dwelling # 112, Family #117
William Anderson, age 64, Farmer, b. OH, Fthr b. PA, Mthr b. OH
Elizabeth Anderson, age 62, Keeping House, Blind, b. OH,
Fthr b. NC, Mthr b. OH
On one side of William lives his son Robert Anderson, and on the other side of him lives John W. Bunton, his nephew by sister Nancy Bunton Ferguson..
He married Elizabeth Hammer, About 1840. Born 1818 in Ohio48.
They had the following children:
2i.Martha Jane Anderson
3ii.Robert W. Anderson
4iii.John W. Anderson
||1 Sep 2004 |
||Hiram Anderson, b. 2 Apr 1788, , North Potomac River, Montgomery, Maryland , d. 10 Nov 1853, Clinton, Boone, Indiana |
||Mary Mulford, b. 21 Aug 1792, , Green, Pennsylvania , d. 16 Nov 1859, , Jefferson, Iowa |
||15 Mar 1813
||, Hamilton, Warren, Ohio
||Elizabeth Hammer, b. Abt 1816, , , Ohio , d. Yes, date unknown |
||26 Mar 1839
||Anderson, Henry, Indiana
|>||1. Martha J. Anderson, b. 1841, , Clinton, Ohio , d. 1921|
|>||2. Dorothy Anderson, b. 20 Dec 1852, , Clinton, Ohio , d. 16 Aug 1935, Oelwein, Buchanan, Iowa |
|>||3. Robert W. Anderson, b. 1843, , , Indiana , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||4. John W. Anderson, b. 1848, , , Ohio , d. Yes, date unknown|
||21 Feb 2005 |
|Born - 26 May 1816 - Vernon, Clinton, Ohio
|Census - 1820 - Vernon, Clinton, Ohio
|Census - 1830 - Marion, Clinton, Ohio
|Married - 26 Mar 1839 - Anderson, Henry, Indiana
|Census - 1850 - Clinton, Jefferson, Ohio
|Census - 1880 - Jefferson, Buchanan, Iowa
|Died - 1894 - Independence, Buchanan, Iowa
|| : Address
: Not Set
- [S225] Ohio, Clinton, Vernon - 1820 - Federal Census, Ohio, Clinton, Vernon, (www.ancestry.com).
- [S50] Ohio, Clinton, Marion - 1830 - Federal Census, Ohio, Clinton, Marion, (www.ancestry.com).
- [S821] Ohio, Jefferson, Clinton - 1850 - Federal Census, Ohio, Jefferson, Clinton, (www.ancestry.com).
- [S893] Iowa, Buchanan, Westbury - 1880 - Federal Census, Iowa, Buchanan, Westbury, (www.familysearch.org).