1627 - Yes, date unknown
||Nicholas Simpkins |
||Oyster Bay, Nassau, New York
||Yes, date unknown
- Frost Genealogy-(This is probably the son as Sr. died in Boston in 1654.)
Prior to 1658, Nicholas appears on the town records of Oyster Bay, L. L., where he sells to Gideon Wright seven acres near Sagamore Hill.1658,hebuys house and lot of Eleazer Leverich. 1668 he testifies to the ownership ofa lot belonging to Anthony Wright. 1678, he buys of theIndians"thewestermost little Island," now Dosoris. He gives this island to hisdaughters,Sarahand Mary, and their husbands, Wm. Wilson and Samuel Tiller, and withthemin1687 assigns the title to Thomas Wall in exchange for land at GreatNeck.1668,he was one of the proprietors under the Musketa Cove Patent. 1687,namedinthe will of Francis Weeks as husband of his daughter Elizabeth.
He m. Elizabeth, daughter of Francis Weeks, and had Phebe, who m.Benjamin Coles, and whose daughter Jemima m. (4) William Frost; Daniel; Mary,whom. Samuel Tillear (see Tillear family for connection); Ezekiel, who m. Sarah (???); Sarah, who m. William Wilson.
From the web: http://www.liglobal.com/c_g/towns/glencove/hist-n.html
On May 24, 1668, Joseph Carpenter, a settler from Warwick, Rhode Island, purchased one hundred acres of woodland northwest of Oyster Bay from the Matinecock Indians. Inspired by the abundance of fresh streams, ponds, and navigable water in the harbor, Carpenter built his sawmill at the foot of Mill Hill Road near the present-day Glen Cove Fire Department and erected a dam after taking on brothers Robert, Nathaniel, and Daniel Coles and Nicholas Simpkins as partners in this business venture. After these "Five Proprietors of the Musketa Cove Plantations "built homes on the hill overlooking the stream along a section known today as The Place, they divided the remaining acreage of woodland and pastures into five equal parcels.
Later a grist mill for grinding corn was added "for all the Proprietors families without charge so long as the said stream was owned by all of them."
Musketa Cove-the Indian name meant "place of rushes"- began to flourish in the next decade as ships navigated the creek at low tide, and it was reported in an early journal that "fifteen hundred foote of plank of two inch thick was prepared and shipped to New Cork (from Musketa Cove in 1678) for use in the construction of Fort James, at the lower end of Manhattan."
||14 Apr 2009 |
||Captain Nicholas Simpkins, b. Abt 1600, Burcoat, Northamptonshire, England , d. 1 Jun 1654, Cambridge, Middlesex, Massachusetts |
||Mrs. Isabel Simpkins, b. Abt 1603, Of, Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts , d. Sep 1668, Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts |
||Of, Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts
||Elizabeth Weeks, d. Yes, date unknown |
||, Nassau, New York
||14 Apr 2009 |