1601 - 1655
||Nathaniel Merrill  |
||4 May 1601
||Wherstead, Suffolk, England
||4 May 1601
||Wherstead, Suffolk, England
||16 Mar 1655
||Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts
- Nathaniel MERRILL - bap. May 4, 1601, Wherstead, Suffolk, England; d. Mar.16, 1654/5, Newbury, Essex Co., MA. Son of Nathaniel NERRELL and Mary BLACKSOLL. A principal source of information about the MERRILL family in England and America is A MERRILL MEMORIAL, by Samuel Merrill (1917-1928 Cambridge, MA).
Nathaniel has been said to have arrived at Ipswich, MA about 1633 and remained there with brother John a year or more before moving to Newbury, MA. However, an evidence of any kind has been seen that placed Nathaniel in MA prior to the birth of his son Daniel at Newbury in 1642. A MERRILL MEMORIAL states that there is no evidence that Nathaniel arrived in MA in 1633 and only conjectures that he was a proprietor at Newbury, MA in 1638. It is probable that Nathaniel did not arrive in America until between 1639 and 1641 and settled at Newbury, MA, joining his brother John, who had lived there for some time.
Nathaniel's will dated Mar. 8, 1654/5 and proved Mar. 27, 1655 names wife Susanna, daughter Susanna, and five sons, all children except Nathaniel being under age 21. The first paragraph of his will indicates much about the testator's faith: "Witness by those psents that I Nathaniell Merrill of Newbury in the Countie of Essex being sicke of body but through gods mercy of perfect memory do here make my last will and testament. I first bequeath my soule into the hands of my blessed Redeemer with an assured hope of a joyfull resurrection, and my body when it shall please the lord to take me out of this fraile life to bee buryed in the burying place of Newbury, and for my worldly goods I give and dispose of as followeth. " The estate inventory of Mar. 23,1654/5 indicated Nathaniel was a man of modest means, with 13 acres of land, 14 head of cattle and common farming and household implements. A debt of Ð5 for rent to John Cutting indicates Nathaniel leased his dwelling. Married probably in England.
Susanna - d. Jan. 25, 1672/3, Newbury, Essex Co., MA. Although son John was executor and major legatee of Gregory WOLTERTON, Susanna was not the sister of Gregory, a tanner of Hartford, Hartford Co., CT. Susanna's surname is not known. The birth of her first four children are reported in Lawrence I. Shepard's "In Search of English Origins: Edward Shepard Part II," HERITAGE QUEST, No.24, page 38. Susanna married second Stephen JORDAN (d. Feb. 8, 1669/70, Newbury, MA) who had two daughters by a prior marriage.
Children of Nathaniel and Susanna MERRILL were:
1. Nathaniel - bap. May 25, 1634, Lawford, Essex, England; d. Jan. 1, 1682/3, Newbury, MA. Married in 1661 Joanna NINIAN (d. Feb. 8, 1717/8, Newbury, MA).
Children: John married Lucy WEBSTER (ancestors of Pres. PIERCE); Nathaniel married first Rebecca BROWN, and second Sarah WOODMAN; Peter married Mary BROWN Joanna died as infant; Joanna died as infant; Hannah married William MOULTON; and Mary married James FREESE.
2. John - bap. Mar. 13, 1635/6, Lawford, Essex, England; d. Jul. 18,1712, Hartford, Hartford Co., CT. An undocumented source gives his birthdate as Feb. 16, 1635/6. Was in Hartford, Hartford Co., CT by 1657, and may have been there earlier under the care of Gregory WILTERTON, who willed in Jul. 1674 a large portion of his estate to John. Admitted as freeman May 20, 1658,and worked as tanner. Removed to West Hartford about 1683 and active in town affairs and a deacon of Second Church. Married Sep. 23, 1663, Hartford, Hartford Co., C T to Sarah WATSON ( b. 1641, Hartford, Hartford Co., CT), daughter of John WATSON an Margaret SMITH. Children: Sarah married Samuel KELLOGG; Nathaniel did not marry John married Sarah MARSH; Abraham married Prudence KELLOGG; Daniel married first Susanna PRATT, and second Mindwell KING; Wilterton married Hannah WATERS; Susanna married John TURNER; Abel married Mabel EASTON; Isaac married Sarah COOK; Jacob married Abigail WEBSTER.
3. Abraham - bap. Apr. 9, 1637, Lawford, Essex, England; d. Nov. 28, 1722, Newbury, MA. Deacon of the Congregational Church of Newbury. Married first Jan. 18, 1660/1 Abigail WEBSTER (b. about 1642; d. Aug. 12, 1712),daughter of John WEBSTER and Mary SHATSWELL, and second Sep. 1713 Mrs. Sarah BOND. Children: Abigail married Hanahiah ORDWAY; Elizabeth married Joseph EMERY; Hannah married Shubael LONG; Mary married Jonathan THURLOW; Abraham married Abigail BARTLETT; John married first Deborah HAZELTINE, and second Margaret LOWELL; Jonathan married Mary BROWN; David married Mary MORSE; Sarah married Joseph MORSE; Susanna died as infant; and Prudence married John BARTLETT.
4. Susanna - bap. Dec. 12, 1638, Lawford, Essex, England; d. Oct.10,1690, Suffield, Hartford Co., CT. Moved to Suffield about 1674. Married Oct.15,1663 Newbury MA John BURBANK (d. Jun. 1, 1709; son of John and Ann), who married second Sarah, and third Mehitable. Children: Mary married first Lazarus MILLER, and second William McCRANEY; Timothy married Rebecca DARLING; John married Mary GRANGER; and Ebenezer married Rebecca PRITCHARD.
5. Daniel - b. Aug. 20, 1642, Newbury, MA; d. Jun. 27, 1717, Salisbury, MA. A carpenter and Sgt. in the militia. Married first May 14, 1667, Newbury, MA, Sarah CLOUGH (b. Jun. 28, 1646, Salisbury, MA; d. Mar.18, 1705/6, Salisbury, MA), daughter of John and Jane, and second May 23, 1708 Sarah (MORRILL) ROWELL PAGE (b. Oct. 14, 1650, Salisbury, MA; d. Sep. 11, 1731, Amesbury, MA), daughter of Abraham and Sarah (CLEMENT) MORRILL, and widow of Philip OWELL and Onesiphorus PAGE. Children: Daniel married Esther CHASE; John married Mary ALLEN; Sarah married William MORSE; Ruth married Onesiphorus PAGE; Moses married Mary CLOUGH; Martha married John TRUE; and Stephen married first Dorothy STRAW, second Mary CARR, and third Mary HARDY.
6. Abel - b. Feb. 20, 1643/4, Newbury, MA; d. Oct. 28, 1689, Newbury, MA. Married Feb. 10, 1670/1 Priscilla CHASE (b. Mar. 14, 1648/9, Newbury, MA), daughter of Aquila CHASE and Ann WHEELER. Children: Abel married Abigail STEVENS; Susanna married Benjamin MORSE; Nathan married Hannah KENT; Thomas married Judith KENT; Joseph married first Ann WIGGINS, and second Sarah; Nathaniel married Hannah STEVENS; Priscilla married Capt. Nathaniel NOYES; and James married Mary ADAMS.
Estate of Nathaniel Merril of Newbury
Essex Probate Docket # None
Witnes by these psents that I Nathaniell Merrill of Newbury in the Countie of Essex being sicke of body but through gods mercy of perfect memory I do here make my last will and testament,
I first bequeath my soule into the hands of my blessed Redeemer with an assured hope of a joyfull resurection, and my body when it shall please the lord to take me out of this fraile life to bee buryed in the burying place of Newbury, and for my worldly goods I giue and dispose of as followeth Impr I giue and bequeath vnto susanna my wife fiue akers of plowable land lying next to my brother Johns land and halfe the marsh dureing her naturall life and a cow and three heifers and all my household goods, And out of this estat so giuen to my wife I giue and bequeath vnto my daughter Susanna fiue pounds when she shalbe at the age of twenty yeares then I giue and bequeath vnto my Son Nathaniell (whom I appoint as my true and lawfull heire) all my land and freehold after my wiues decease, and all the working tooles & Implements of husbandry and all the cattell and stocke besids And out of this stocke
I appoint that my Son Nathaniell shall pay theise legacyes as followeth, that is I giue vnto my son John when he shallbee of the age of two and twenty yeers the summe of fiue pounds,
And also I giue and bequeath vnto my Son Abraham at the age of two and twenty years fiue pounds,
And I giue and bequeath vnto my sonne Daniell also at the age of one and twenty years fiue pound and I giue and bequeath to my son Abell fiue pounds also at the age of one and twenty years,
And I appoint my Sone Nathaniell to be my sole executor and all my debts & funerall rites being discharged I appoint him to haue all the rest of my goods & chattels vndisposed and I desire my brother John merill and Anthony somerby to be the ouerseers of this my las t will & testament In witness whereof I haue st my hand march the eight in the yeare one thousand six hundred fifty foure but if gods puidence should by losses & crosses |vpon ye estate| more than ordinary: then proportionobly to be abated in the legacyes
his mark Nathaniell n n merrill
Proved Mar 27, 1655 by John Merrill and Anthony Somerby
Inventory of the estate of Nathaniell Merrill of Newbury, who deceased Mar 16, 1654-5, taken Mar 23, 1654-5, by Daniell (his D mark) Thurston, Richard Knight and Archelaus Woodman:
Ten akers of upland and thre akers of marsh with the previledge of a grehold or commage, £20; one cow and a calfe, £4; 15 s; three heifers of three yeare old & 2 claves £12; 10s; two steers of two yeare old & two heifers £11; three yearelings, £4, one old cart & wheeles and sled and an old barow, £1; 2 spades, a mattock, a betle, 4 wedges, a crosscut & a handsaw & 4 axes and 4 hooes, £2; 3 old tubs, a fanne, an Iron staple & ring & 2 prongs & shovell, 10s; his weareing apparell, £2; ten bushells of malt & barly, 5 bushells of wheate & nine bushels of rye & about 35 bushells of Indian corne, £10; 16s; two muskets and 2 swords with match & powder, £2; cats & pease, 10s; sixe small swyne, £3; 2 flock beds & bolsters & 2 paire of sheets, old, £4; 2 old ketles, 2 skillets & a smal braspot & Iron pot, £1 10s; an old warming pan, fire shovell, grid Iron, tongs, & other small Iron things & a spitt, 12s; 4 small pewter dishes & a skimmer, dishes & spoones, 12s; a truckle bedsted, 2 buckets and a pr of cottrells, 10s; a small cart rope & halfe bushell & a pecke, 5s; a small cubberd & 2chests, 16s; one drinke vessell, 2 wheels, one powdring tub, ten milk trayes & 3 cheesfats, £2; total £84; 6s; his debts for Rent due to Mr Cutting, £5; in small debts, £2.
Source: Essex County Quarterly Court Files 3:10 
||15 Sep 2006 |
||Nathaniel Merrill, b. Abt 1571, Wherstead, Suffolk, England , d. 17 Mar 1672, Wherstead, Suffolk, England |
||Mary (Blackwell) Blacksol, b. 1 May 1574, Wherstead, Suffolk, England , d. Apr 1624, Wherstead, Suffolk, England |
||27 Feb 1593
||Belstead, Wherestead, Suffolk, England
||Susannah Wilterton, b. Abt 1610, Wherstead, Suffolk, England , d. 15 Jan 1673, Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts |
||16 Mar 1635
||, Wiltshire, England
|>||1. Nathaniel Merrill, b. Abt 1633, Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts , d. 1 Jan 1682, Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts |
|>||2. John Merrill, b. 16 Feb 1636, Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts , d. 18 Jul 1712, Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut |
| ||3. Abraham Merrill, b. 1636, Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts , d. 28 Nov 1722, Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts |
|>||4. Susannah Merrill, b. 1640, Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts , d. 10 Oct 1690, Suffield, Hartford, Connecticut |
| ||5. Daniel Merrill, b. 20 Aug 1642, Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts , d. 27 Jun 1717, Salem, Essex, Massachusetts |
|>||6. Abel Merrill, b. 20 Feb 1644, Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts , d. 28 Oct 1689, Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts |
| ||7. Thomas Merrill, b. 1 Nov 1646, Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts , d. 7 Nov 1711, Saybrook, Middlesex, Connecticut |
||15 Sep 2006 |
||Susan Jordan, b. Abt 1603, Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts , d. Yes, date unknown |
||Of, , Essex, England
||15 Sep 2006 |
- [S398] Burbank Family, George Burbak Sedgley, (Farmington, Me. : G.B. Sedgley, c1928), 11 (Reliability: 3).
- [S7713] Massachusetts, Essex County Wills, ( http://www.rootsweb.com/~maessex/wills/).