lineagekeeper's genealogy
genealogy of the drew, huggard, young, merrill families
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]
Bishop Jonathan Harriman Hale

Bishop Jonathan Harriman Hale

Male 1800 - 1846  (46 years)

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Bishop Jonathan Harriman Hale 
    Title Bishop 
    Born 1 Feb 1800  Groveland, Essex, Massachusetts Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 4 Sep 1846  Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie, Iowa Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried 4 Sep 1846  Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie, Iowa Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Jonathan H. Hale and Family
      Heart Throbs of the West, Kate B. Carter, Vol.2, p.189

      Jonathan Harriman Hale, born Feb. 1, 1800, at Bradford, Massachusetts. Died Sept. 4th, 1846, Council Bluffs, Iowa. Olive Boynton Hale, his wife, was born July 30, 1805, at Bradford, Massachusetts. Died Sept. 8th, 1846, Council Bluffs, Iowa.

      Jonathan H. Hale was Bishop of 9th ward in Nauvoo. He had lost all of his property after leaving Bradford. When they arrived at Council Bluffs, walking on crutches with a broken leg, worn out with work and worry, he put a wagon box on the ground at the rear of their tent and made a bed for his wife, Olive, where their last child was born. He, with hundreds of others, came down with chills and fever, from which he died, Sept. 4th, 1846 at the age of 46 years. Just four days later, Sept, 8th, 1846, his wife also died of malaria, age 41 years.

      On Sept, 15, 1846, Olive Susan, age 2˝ years died of the same malady. Clarissa, the baby, died Sept. 18, 22 days old.

      The father, mother and children (Clarissa and Olive) were buried side by side in unmarked graves.

      Jonathan Eliphalit (a son) born Dec. 7, 1841, at Nauvoo, died July 22, 1842, at Nauvoo.


      Jonathan Hale: Preaching the Restored Gospel
      Taken from: "Saints Without Halos" By Leonard Arrington and Davis Bitton

      In 1834 Jonathan Harriman Hale. a thirty-four-year-old butcher In Dover, New Hampshire, heard the missionaries, and with his wife Olive Boynton Hale, was baptized, as he wrote, "into the New and Everlasting Covenant."

      Two months later Jonathan was ordained an elder and set apart to preside over the Dover branch. In the spring, he left Olive and their two children and drove to Bradford, Massachusetts, their former home. There he met two close relatives who had also joined the Church, Henry Harriman and Jonathan Holmes. They drove to Kirtland, Ohio where they obtained patriarchal blessings from Joseph Smith. Sr., the Church's first Patriarch.

      The members of the first Quorum of the Twelve had been called just two months earlier. One of them was John F. Boynton, brother of Jonathan's wife. Perhaps because of that relationship, Jonathan was asked to accompany the Twelve back to New England where they held several conferences.

      On May 30 Jonathan and apostles Thomas B. Marsh and David W. Patten visited Martin Harris in Palmyra and climbed the Hill Cumorah, where they "offered up thanks to the most high God for the record of the Nephites and for other blessings." Then they traveled through Palmyra, going "from house to house," and "inquired into the character of Joseph Smith, Jr., previous to his receiving the Book of Mormon." Far from having been the despicable person his detractors had alleged him to be, Joseph was declared by those who knew him to have been "as good as young men in general."

      In June, after two months' absence and 1,550 miles of travel, Jonathan returned to his family in Dover. He resumed his work as a butcher for six weeks until he returned to Bradford for a conference of the Twelve. Following the conference, he took three of the Twelve - Thomas B. Marsh, Parley P. Pratt, and Heber C. Kimball - to Salem, Massachusetts, where they had been assigned to labor, and returned to Dover with two other apostles, Luke Johnson and William Smith.

      During the following weeks several of the Twelve visited the New Hampshire - Vermont area, and Jonathan took them to their appointments in his buggy. Then he sold his property, settled his business, and moved his family to Bradford for a few months where they lived with Olive's father, Eliphalet Boynton. Jonathan helped him sell his property, and in the spring of 1836 they all moved to Kirtland, "to be-with the Saints."

      Soon after their arrival Jonathan and Olive arranged for patriarchal blessings for Olive and her relatives. Wilford Woodruff, a friend who would soon become an apostle, baptized their oldest child, Aroet. Many years later Aroet recalled, "My father took the ax along and cut a large hole in the ice. Elder Woodruff got down into the water and baptized me and several other children. My name being Hale, and being baptized in ice water, froze me into the Church and I am still with it, thank God!"

      Jonathan worked on the Kirtland Temple and was ordained a seventy. During the winter of 1836-1837 the seventies met every night to study, receive instructions, and conduct ordinances such as washings and annointings.

      In May 1837 Jonathan and Wilford were called on a mission. Olive's brother John Boynton laughed out loud when he heard the news and scoffed that it was useless to call such men as Jonathan Hale on a mission, for "he would never baptize a man or make a Mormon." But Jonathan would not be discouraged. During the next five months, while their families lived together, Jonathan and Wilford preached the gospel throughout New York, New England, and eastern Canada.

      They walked from farm to farm and village to village, stopping occasionally to bathe in a stream, help a farmer put up hay or butcher a sheep, dig clams, or catch fish. As was the custom, they traveled "without purse or scrip." They preached in barns, homes, schools, town halls, and even in local churches when permitted by the minister. They relied on kind persons to give them lodging for the night or slept in haystacks or under trees.

      In each village they preached for two or three days, baptized those who were willing, established a branch, and then moved on to the next village. At Canton, Connecticut, Jonathan and Wilford preached in the village hall. "As soon as the meeting commenced," Jonathan wrote, "the drums began to beat at the door and continued considerable of the time during the meeting. After the meeting closed, they all gathered round us and appeared like knashing upon us with their teeth." A local minister "said we had no right to cram the people with such doctrine. We told him we didn't cram anybody, but [that] every man had a right to enjoy his opinion. He said they had not if it was wrong. We told him we should take that liberty because the laws of the country gave us that right." After the meeting the two missionaries went to a nearby grove and "offered up our thanks to God for our deliverance."

      After another day of fruitless proselyting, "we went by ourselves by a pure stream of water and clensed our hands and feet and bore testamony before God against ... all that rejected our testamony." Before their mission was over, Jonathan and Wilford washed their feet several more times as a witness that they had attempted to preach the Lord's word and were therefore "washed clean of the sins of these priests of Baal."

      The most receptive area was the Fox Islands (now Vinalhaven), off the Southern coast of Maine. About a thousand people lived in fishing villages on these islands. Several families came forward to be baptized, including a sea captain, Justus Eames, and his wife Betsy. Wilford turned to Jonathan, who had not yet baptized a single person, and said, "Now Brother Hale, we will make John F. Boynton a false prophet. You go down" into the sea and baptize this man and woman." "This was a rejoicing time to us," Jonathan wrote, "and also to them, as I suppose they are the first that has been baptised into the new and everlasting covenant on the Islands of the sea, (thank the Lord O my soul) and forgit not all his blessings."

      Two days later the two missionaries retired to a secluded area for a three-hour private service of thanksgiving. Jonathan read Jeremiah 16, "which speaks of fishers and hunters that God will send to gather Israel. We then sung a Song of Zion and offered up our morning prayers to the most high God. We had a glorious time of rejoicing while contemplating our situation-the scenery about us, the work of God. In our prayers we called to mind the ancient apostles Nephi, Mormon, Moroni, Joseph [Smith], Sidney [Rigdon], Oliver [Cowdery], Heber [Kimball], Orson [Hyde], [John] Goodson, and all those in England and Upper Canada, and all in like conditions with our selves, and especially our wives, that God would bless them." Then they wrote letters to their families and "went our way rejoicing."

      In the meantime, Olive Hale and Phebe Woodruff missed their husbands and prayed for them morning and night. They were lonely but had little time to brood. They had to provide for their families, plant crops, and take care of business matters. Occasionally they attended lectures and "sings", coped with frequent illnesses, and most importantly, raised the children in the ways of the newly restored gospel. Aroet, who was nine years old, while Jonathan was on his mission, recalled, "Sister Phebe Woodruff and mother used to talk to us children and tell us about an angel appearing to the Prophet Joseph when he was a young man, that we must be good children, that angels would not appear to bad children."

      Finally, near the end of October 1837 Jonathan and Wilford returned. "Although I have Baptised but nine persons," Jonathan reflected, "I trust my labours are not in vain." After only two months in Kirtland, Jonathan was called on his second mission, this time to southwestern Ohio and Indiana with Amos B. Fuller. But a few weeks later he received a letter from Olive reporting widespread apostasy. "Brother Joseph Smith, Jr., and Sidney Rigdon had fled from Kirtland, for their lives, [and] our enemies had burnt the printing office and taken many prisoners. Therefore, I felt very anxious to go home."

      Jonathan and Amos immediately returned to Kirtland where they found Hyrum Smith and the high council developing a plan to transport the loyal Saints to Missouri by steamboat. When the plan failed to materialize, Jonathan and the other seventies met in the temple to consider their options. According to the minutes of the meeting, "The Spirit of the Lord came down in mighty power and some of the Elders began to prophesy that if the quorum would go up in a body together ... they should not want for anything on the journey that would be necessary for them." Then President James Foster arose and "declared that he saw a vision in which was shown unto him a company (he should think of about five hundred) starting from Kirtland and going up to Zion; ... and that he knew thereby that it was the will of God that the quorum should go up in that manner." Over the next few days a plan was developed for the seventies to combine their resources and move as many as could go to Zion.

      Hyrum Smith candidly acknowledged "that what he had said and done in reference to chartering a Steam Boat for the purpose of removing the Church as a body he had done according to his own judgement without any reference to the testimony of the Spirit of God," and advised all the Saints who could to join with the Kirtland Camp.

      Jonathan Hale was appointed treasurer and on 5 July 1838 the camp began its 870-mile journey to Far West. The milelong caravan began with 525 men, women, and children in 59 wagons with 33 large tents. Another hundred people joined the camp along the way. Each morning the bugle sounded the call to arise at 4A.M, and within twenty minutes all assembled for prayer. Each evening the tents were pitched in the shape of a hollow square. Occasionally the company stopped for a few davs while the men worked in local villages chopping wood, making fences, clearing land, and performing other services. Their earnings were given to Jonathan, who bought provisions for the entire camp.

      Nevertheless, after a few weeks on the trail, according to the camp recorder, "provisions were scarce and could not be obtained. Consequently we were obliged to do with what we had and here was another manifestation of the power of Jehovah, for seven and a half bushels of corn sufficed for the whole camp consisting of 620 souls for the space of three days and [there was] no lack for food though some complained and moaned because they did not have that to eat that their souls lusted after."

      At Mansfield. Ohio, the procession was met by a sheriff and deputies, who took Jonathan and two others into custody for the failure of the Church to pay alleged debts in Kirtland. But the charge could not be substantiated, and they were released the next day.

      In late September Jonathan and the other camp members heard reports that Governor Lilburn Boggs had called for volunteers in Missouri to "fight the Mormons." On October 2 Joseph Smith, Sidney Rigdon, and others escorted the Kirtland Camp to the public square at Far West, where they camped for the night.

      Two days later, according to the Prophet's history, the camp was temporarily relocated twenty-five miles north of Far West. As the Saints began to pitch their tents, "one of the brethren living in the place proclaimed with a loud voice: 'Brethren, your long and tedious journey is now, ended; you are now on the public square of Adam-ondi-Ahman. This is the place where Adam blessed his posterity, when they rose up and called him Michael, the Prince, the Archangel. and he being full of the Holy Ghost predicted what should befall his posterity to the latest generation.'

      Unfortunately, the situation at Adam-ondi-Ahman was not much happier than it had been in Kirtland. On October 27 Governor Boggs issued orders for the state militia to drive the Mormons from the state, and three days later Far West was surrounded. Joseph Smith and other leaders were taken prisoner and mobs began to burn Mormon houses and drive off the livestock. Waiting for assignment to a permanent settlement, the Kirtland Camp, still sheltered only by their tents, suffered from the weather and mob depredations. As winter set in, several died from exposure. "I laid night after night on the ground with my Brethren, with little or no shelter." Jonathan wrote. "Loaded teams crossed Grand River on the ice . . . .... The mob militia came in and demanded our arms. We gave them up. We were in number 144, the mob about 800."

      Ordered to leave the County within ten days, Jonathan helped apportion the teams, wagons, and other- provisions of the well [ill?] equipped Saints to assist widows, the aged, the sickly, and the poor. By the end of February two to three thousand Saints had gathered at Quincy. Illinois, where they were generously welcomed by local residents. Jonathan settled his family temporarily in Quincy, looked after the families of other seventies, and in December left on another mission, this time to Illinois and Indiana. He returned two months later, in early 1840 and moved his familv to Nauvoo.

      Jonathan's leadership abilities had been well established. In Nauvoo he served as bishop, colonel in the Nauvoo Legion, director of schools, collector of donations and tithing for the Nauvoo Temple, and recorder of baptisms for the dead. When the Saints were driven from Nauvoo, he helped direct the exodus.

      In Winter Quarters he was sustained as a member of the high council. But strenuous labors drained his energies. With his resistance to disease lowered, Jonathan Hale fell ill and died, probably of typhoid fever, in September 1846. As so often happened during such epidemics, his wife Olive and their two youngest children, Olive and Clarissa, died a few days later. Four orphaned children remained: Aroet, eighteen, Rachel, seventeen; Alma, ten; and Solomon, seven. Determined to stay together, they remained in Winter Quarters until 1848 when they, made the trek across the Great Plains with the Heber C. Kimball division. They remained in the Salt Lake Valley four years, after which Aroet and Alma went to farm in Grantsville, Utah. Rachel married and moved to San Bernardino, California where she died in 1854. Solomon moved to Farmington, Utah, and In the years that followed, Aroet, Alma, and Sol became Indian fighters, colonizers, missionaries, minute men, stockmen, and operators of saw-mills and molasses-mills. Two became bishops, one a Counselor in the stake presidency, and eventually all three were ordained patriarchs. In the generations since, thousands of Jonathan and Olive's descendants have served as missionaries, ward and stake officers, and productive citizens.


      An Enduring Legacy, Volume Twelve, p.320
      Jonathan H. Hale was bishop of the Ninth Ward in Nauvoo. He had lost all his property after leaving Bradford. When they arrived at Council Bluffs, he was walking on crutches because of a broken leg, and worn out with work and worry. He put a wagon box on the ground at the rear of their tent and made a bed for his wife, Olive, where their last child was born.3

      Heber Q. Hale's book Bishop Jonathan H. Hale of Nauvoo,His Life and Ministry is the source for the following history:

      Zealous, yet modest; loyal, though free; patient of toil; serene amidst alarms; inflexible in faith, invincible in arms.

      He was one of the most industrious, faithful, and honorable of men.

      He was dependable, efficient, and true to every trust.

      He took God at his word, and the prophets of God at full value.

      He found work a pleasure, and time a precious heritage. He did the best he could with what he had, wherever he was.

      He considered life a measure to be filled, not a cup to be drained.

      He found the Kingdom of God on earth, and he must be about his Father's business.

      Thus, the character of Jonathan H. Hale may be epitomized. The mortal life of Jonathan H. Hale covered a span of only forty-six years, seven months, and three days. His ministry began, it is safe to say, at his baptism into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and continued uninterruptedly to the day of his tragic death twelve years later.

      Following are some of Jonathan's positions of responsibility and trust:

      1.President of the Dover, New Hampshire Branch of the Church.

      2.Filled eight special missions.

      3.Member of special committee to superintend the migration of the Church from Kirtland to Far West.

      4.Treasurer and purchasing agent of the special committee on migration.

      5.Member of special committee of five assigned to go back into enemy territory and recover such property belonging to the Saints as was possible to secure, following the Missouri expulsion.

      6.Counselor to Bishop Newel K. Whitney of the Middle Ward in Nauvoo.

      7.Assessor and tax collector of Third Ward in Nauvoo.

      8.Bishop of the Ninth Ward in Nauvoo.

      9.Lieutenant-colonel of the Third Regiment of the Nauvoo Legion.

      10.Recorder of baptisms for the dead.

      11.School director in Nauvoo.

      12.One of a number of men sent out to campaign on behalf of Joseph Smith for President of the United States.

      13.Official appointee of the Church to "collect donations and tithing for the Temple in the City of Nauvoo, and for other purposes."

      14.Ordained to and served in all offices of the Holy Priesthood elder, seventy, and high priest.

      15.He also served on several committees serving the needs of the Saints in Ohio, Missouri, Illinois, and on the pioneer trail.

      Olive Boynton Hale, his wife, was a sweet, lovely, and beautiful woman. She possessed in a marked degree the admirable and perfected qualities of motherhood. She was a blonde and of normal proportions not large embodying strength, grace, and feminine charm. While possessed of a strong mentality, yet she was cooperative and worked harmoniously with her husband ....

      Many details of the early life and activities of Jonathan H. Hale will, most probably, forever remain in obscurity. Enough is found, however.... [to know] that he had a most desirable and congenial home life at the family estate at Bradford, Massachusetts.

      Jonathan was the fourth child born in a family of eight children…. The family carried on farming operations; his help was needed.

      He must have had pretty good schooling opportunities, judging from the educational attainments reflected in his penmanship, his diction and good use of English, his public speaking ability, and the positions of trust and responsibility to which he was subsequently appointed and elected, which in themselves required scholastic training and ability.

      To what church the family belonged is not known. However, it is quite a matter of fact that none of the family ever joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints except Jonathan and he joined the Church after he left the parental home.

      When twenty-four years of age and still unmarried, Jonathan started out for himself. He left the old hometown... and located in Dover, New Hampshire, in September 1824. Here he went into the butchering business with Stephen Palmer, his brother-in-law This partnership continued until 1827 when it was dissolved.

      In the meantime . . . he got married. "I was married on September 1, 1825," Jonathan recorded in his journal in his own beautiful handwriting. The young couple established their home at once in Dover, New Hampshire.

      Jonathan and Olive's first child, Sarah G, was bern and died the same day, August 22, 1826. The next year Jonathan dissolved his business partnership, and he and Olive operated the "Stage House" in Dover. Their second child, Aroet Lucius Little Hale, was born May 18, 1828. In May, 1829, the Hales moved back to Bradford, Massachusetts. Rachel Johnsen Savory Hale was born to Jonathan and Olive on August 27, 1829. She was destined to be the only girl of the family to survive the terrible experiences that awaited the family and reach the Salt Lake Valley.

      In March of 1831, the Hales returned to Dover.

      When a man in mature life joins a new church, it usually follows that he makes new friends, establishes new relationships, and his course in life is often very materially changed. It was, indeed, so with Jonathan H. Hale.

      In the spring of 1834, missionaries of the LDS faith came to their neighborhood bearing the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. Their hearts were convinced of the truth of the message, and they were baptized June 13, 1834. The light had come to him, the truth had appeared on the horizon of his own consciousness, and Jonathan would fill eight missions for the Church of his newly found faith.

      Jonathan had a strong desire to meet the Prophet Joseph Smith. He and two companions traveled to Kirtland, Ohio, to see the Mormon Prophet, shake his hand, and hear his voice. The Prophet received the three strangers as brothers, took them into his confidence, and administered not only to their physical needs, but gave them the kind of food their souls hungered for.

      Jonathan recorded in his journal at the time that he had there "received many blessings," but he did not enumerate them, except to say that one of those "many" blessings was a patriarchal blessing given to him by Joseph Smith, Sr., the first patriarch of the Church in this dispensation.

      Jonathan had served two missions and returned to Bradford, Massachusetts, when another child blessed their home. His name was Alma Helaman and he was born April 24, 1836.

      The spirit of gathering was strong, though, and Jonathan returned to Dover and made preparations to join the Saints at Kirtland. On June 16, 1836, the 750-mile trip with wagons and teams began. In Kirtland a home had to be provided and preparations made for the approaching winter. Olive received her patriarchal blessing on November 10, 1836, at the hands of Joseph Smith, Sr.

      On his mission to the Fox Islands, Jonathan paid a visit to his mother. Upon returning to Kirtland he made the following journal entry: "This journal was written during my missionary labors. I can say that the Lord has blessed me in very deed. Although I have baptized but nine persons-and these were on the Fox Islands yet I have witnessed many more. I trust my labors have not been in vain. There appears to be a great field opened to missionary work in Maine and along the sea-board and on the islands of the sea. Whatever my circumstances may be, I shall not forget my missionary experiences."

      When the exodus from Kirtland began, Jonathan and two other men were imprisoned in Mansfield, but were released the following day. In Jonathan's case it was mistaken identity. It took three months for the migration from Kirtland to Far West, Missouri. Mob violence increased, and the Hales suffered with the other Saints. Jonathan served on several committees to help the Saints in the trying times of migration.

      An intimate account of the terrible hardships endured by Jonathan and his family at the hands of the mob in Missouri is told in the personal account written in later years by his eldest son, Aroet Lucius Hale, as these harrowing experiences were indelibly impressed upon his alert mind when he was a boy past ten years of age. Said he:

      "On arrival at Far West, the Prophet met our company and pronounced blessings upon us. Father was sent with a company of Saints to Adam-ondi-Ahman. Shortly after our arrival there, Governor Boggs issued his exterminating order, which gave the Saints their choice between banishment from Missouri or death.

      "The mobbers soon renewed their depredations by burning houses, killing and driving off our livestock. Soon an order was issued commanding us to lay down our arms on penalty of death. My father laid down two nice rifles. One of them was intended for me as soon as I was large enough to use it.

      "Shortly after this, our tents were searched by a mob militia. My dear Mother was lying sick in a wagon box in a tent. Four men entered our tent, two on each side of the bed where Mother was lying, evidently in search of firearms. They rolled Mother from side to side of the bed, roughly thrusting her against the sides of the wagon box until she was nearly exhausted.

      "The tents and wagons of other families were treated in like manner. After obtaining all the arms and ammunition they could find, they took Father and the other brethren prisoners and marched them away. I was about the largest boy in camp. I had to cut wood, burn it into coals, and take the hot coals into the tent in a bake-kettle to keep my Mother and the children from freezing.

      "Father returned in a few days. Mother handed him two silver-mounted Derringer pistols, which she had preserved from the mob by concealing them under her breasts. We lived in the tent until the ice on Grand River had frozen sufficiently to bear loaded wagons across."

      The Hales left Far West on February 5, 1839, and proceeded to Quincy, Illinois, where they arrived on February 16.

      While in Quincy he made the acquaintance of a Mr. Robert Stilson, who owned a farm about twenty miles east of that city, near New Liberty, which he rented under an arrangement by which he was to receive all he could produce upon the land, and in addition, he was to be paid in cash for all the improvements he could make upon the property in the way of fencing and buildings. Through his industrious efforts, he was able to not only provide comfortably for his family, but he equipped himself with a good wagon, team, harness, and outfit in preparation for his next move with the body of the Church. The leaders of the Church had already intended to find a new location somewhere on the Illinois side of the Mississippi River.

      While living on the Stilson farm, Olive gave birth to a baby boy, Solomon Henry, on April 30, 1839. They named him simply Solomon after Jonathan's father. It was not until sometime during the winter of 1842-43, in Nauvoo, when the boy was approaching his fourth birthday, that he was complaining one evening when the Prophet Joseph Smith was visiting the Hale home, of having only one name while his older brothers each had more than one name. The Prophet observed the child's complaint and asked him to sit on a little footstool in front of him. He then inquired as to what additional name he would like. The boy answered: "I want the name of Henry after Uncle Henry Harriman." The Prophet said: "Alright, Solly my boy, you shall have it." He then placed his hands upon the child's head and conferred upon him the additional name of Henry.

      Jonathan Eliphalit (a son), born December 7, 1841, at Nauvoo, died July 22, 1842, at Nauvoo.

      When the expulsion from Illinois was upon the Saints, Brigham Young called a meeting to organize them into companies of one hundred. Jonathan was made captain of company 21.

      Parley R Pratt calculated that an outfit which every family of five persons would require should consist of the following:
      1 good wagon3 sheep
      3 yoke of cattle1000 pounds of flour
      2 cows25 pounds of sugar
      2 beef cattle1 rifle and ammunition
      1 tent and tent poles

      All would cost about $250 if the family had nothing to begin with except clothing, bedding, and cooking utensils. The weight would be about 2700 pounds including the family, but counting on the family to walk most of the way would reduce the load to about 1900 pounds.

      Many Saints crossed the frozen Mississippi River in February 1846. When spring came their beautiful city was almost empty. A private dedication of the Nauvoo Temple had taken place April 30, 1846.

      Bishop Hale (he had been ordained a bishop in Nauvoo) headed up his company 21 and began the westward trek early in June. Jonathan conducted his company with remarkable judgment and splendid generalship and took them safely into Council Bluffs on July 16, a distance of about 300 miles. Temporary headquarters were set up in that place to handle the great influx of Saints who would follow. Jonathan was one of twelve men (high council) selected to preside in all matters spiritual and temporal at Council Bluffs. He was sent to Fort Leavenworth to receive the pay for the soldiers for their families. He also took mail from Council Bluffs to the Saints at Spring Creek.

      In a tent on the ground at Council Bluffs a baby girl was 'born to the Hales on August 27, 1846. Her name would be Clarissa Martha and she was the eighth and last of their children. Her name was chosen for Olive's sister, Clarissa Boynton, and Jonathan's mother, Martha.

      Jonathan took sick, and just before passing away he counseled his family to stay true to the faith, to follow Brigham Young to the Rocky Mountains even though others might try to persuade them to turn back. When he stopped breathing, Olive uttered these words: "O, my children, Father is gone." This was the evening of September 4, 1846. Four days later Olive, too, passed away with the same admonition her dear husband had given-follow the Saints to the Rocky Mountains. They would not be separated long from two of their children, for baby Clarissa passed away on September 15 and Olive Susan on September 18. They were all buried side by side at Council Bluffs. Their four remaining children then turned their faces toward the West.
      Bishop Jonathan H. Hale Is Dead

      Bishop Jonathan H. Hale is dead!
      A great heart is stilled
      His sun has set at the noon-tide of life,
      His valiant and diligent labors are ended.
      His services and kindly ministrations are over.

      There is a limit to human endurance.
      A man of marvelous physical prowess,
      Impelled by an indefatigable energy,
      Has given the full measure of all he had.

      His chief concern was the interest and
      Welfare of those committed to his care,
      Entailing duties and responsibilities,
      Which were work enough for two stalwart men.

      A winter in the merciless wilderness was approaching;
      A home must be built for the protection of his family;
      A sick wife and her infant child must have care;
      Not even a broken limb may deter him in his work.

      Hundreds of his people were sick and dying;
      Distress calls came streaming in day and night;
      They must have the kindly ministrations of their Bishop.
      The sick cared for, the dead gently laid to rest.

      The exacting demands upon muscle, nerve and heart,
      Poor food and shelter, with contaminated drinking water;
      Insufficient rest and the stress of dire vicissitudes
      All combined in a mass attack to bring him down.

      Is it a matter of wonderment that the dreaded things
      Which brought sickness and death to hundreds of his people,
      Might finally reach him also; that he, too, might get
      Tired and hungry and sick from his labors among them?

      As to all men, sooner or later, it came to him sooner
      Than he had anticipated. Exhaustion and the ravaging
      Malaria forced him to lie down and rest; but
      It was, in fact, to lie down and die!

      Bishop Jonathan H. Hale is dead?
      Nay, he is not dead! Such a man never dies!
      His mission is transferred to other and loftier fields
      And he has left with us a life of sacrifice and service
      And a posterity, which shall carry on forever!
    Person ID I6166544  7_families
    Last Modified 29 Sep 2006 

    Father Solomon Hale,   b. 21 Feb 1768, Bradford, Essex, Massachusetts Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 13 Jan 1820, Bradford, Essex, Massachusetts Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 51 years) 
    Mother Martha Harriman,   b. 24 Jul 1773, Rowley, Essex, Massachusetts Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 21 Jun 1852, Bradford, Essex, Massachusetts Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 78 years) 
    Married 12 Nov 1792  Rowley, Essex, Massachusetts Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F1908476  Group Sheet

    Family Olive Boynton,   b. 30 Jul 1805, Groveland, Essex, Massachusetts Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 8 Sep 1846, Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie, Iowa Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 41 years) 
    Married 1 Sep 1825  Groveland, Essex, Massachusetts Find all individuals with events at this location 
     1. Sarah G. Hale,   b. 22 Aug 1826, Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 22 Aug 1826, Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 0 years)
     2. Aroet Lucius Little Hale,   b. 18 May 1828, Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 13 Dec 1911, Grantsville, Tooele, Utah Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 83 years)
     3. Rachel Johnson Savory Hale,   b. 27 Aug 1829, Groveland, Essex, Massachusetts Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 6 May 1854, San Bernardino, San Bernardino, California Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 24 years)
    +4. Alma Helaman Hale,   b. 24 Apr 1836, Bradford, Essex, Massachusetts Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 30 Mar 1908, Logan, Cache, Utah Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 71 years)
     5. Solomon Henry Hale,   b. 30 Apr 1839, Quincy, Adams, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 11 Jul 1925, Boise, Ada, Idaho Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 86 years)
     6. Jonathan Eliphalet Hale,   b. 7 Dec 1841, Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 22 Jul 1842  (Age 0 years)
     7. Olive Susan Hale,   b. 14 Mar 1844, Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 15 Sep 1846, Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie, Iowa Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 2 years)
     8. Clarissa Martha Hale,   b. 27 Aug 1846, Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie, Iowa Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 18 Sep 1846, Waterloo, Black Hawk, Iowa Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 0 years)
    Last Modified 29 Sep 2006 
    Family ID F1908415  Group Sheet

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 1 Feb 1800 - Groveland, Essex, Massachusetts Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 1 Sep 1825 - Groveland, Essex, Massachusetts Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - 4 Sep 1846 - Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie, Iowa Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsBuried - 4 Sep 1846 - Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie, Iowa Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Maps 
     = Link to Google Earth 
    Pin Legend  : Address       : Location       : City/Town       : County/Shire       : State/Province       : Country       : Not Set

  • Photos
    Jonathan Harriman Hale
    Jonathan Harriman Hale

    Jonathan Harriman Hale Property in Nauvoo, Illinois
    Jonathan Harriman Hale Property in Nauvoo, Illinois