1775 - 29 Feb 1818
||Brevet Lieutenant Colonel John Gordon |
||Brevet Lieutenant Colonel |
||1 Dec 1775
||Laggan, Moray, Scotland 
||29 Feb 1818
||, , India 
- John Gordon was killed by Killidar Arabs in an attack in India.
- Brevet-Lieutenant-Colonel John Gordon, a distinguished officer in the Army (1775 - 1817).
Brevet-Lieut.-Col. John Gordon (1775-1818).
The Birnie MS says that the eldest son of John Gordon and Janet Proctor was John. He is apparently the son referred to, but unnamed in the Mortlach Register: --
"John Gordon and Janet Proctor in Mill of Laggan had a lawful son, December 1, 1775. Wit: John Gordon there and John Gordon in Laggan."
John Gordon began his career in the North Regiment of Fencible Highlanders, under the Duke of Gordon, entering it as lieutenant Nov. 28, 1795. He then got a commission as ensign in the first battalion of the 1st Foot (Royal Scots). For the sake of clearness I give his ranks in the regiment at a glance:--
Ensign...............Feb. 26, 1799
Lieutenant.........June 1, 1800
Captain..............Aug. 24, 1804
Brevet-Major.....June 4, 1814
Major..................Dec. 15, 1814
Lieut.-Colonel.....June 25, 1817
He wrote a series of letters to his kinswoman, Miss Anne Gordon, Spynie, between February 1800 and 1806, which are in the possession of Mrs. Davidson, Forres. 
||31 May 2005 |
||John Gordon, b. Abt 1739, Laggan, Moray, Scotland , d. 1795, Laggan, Moray, Scotland (Age ~ 56 years) |
||Janet Proctor, b. Abt 1741, Edinvillie, Aberlour, Moray, Scotland , d. Yes, date unknown |
||11 Oct 1774
||Edinville, Moray, Scotland 
- Marriage shown in IGI as being in Mortlach Parish, Banff, Scotland.
- [S123654] The Gordon's of Laggan, John Malcolm Bulloch, (Banff, The Banffshire Journal Office, The Banffshire Field Club, 1907), Lee Drew has one of the few copies in existence.., 18 (Reliability: 3).
- [S123654] The Gordon's of Laggan, John Malcolm Bulloch, (Banff, The Banffshire Journal Office, The Banffshire Field Club, 1907), Lee Drew has one of the few copies in existence.., 30 (Reliability: 3).